If you've been struggling with the summer heat but have an older home without a duct system in place, a ductless air cooling system might just be what you need. In fact, these compact systems offer a number of advantages over a traditional air cooling system, in addition to operating without having to add expensive ductwork.
Advantages to a ductless air cooling system
1. No ducts needed. As the name implies, a ductless system is self-contained and hangs on the wall, cooling the immediate area without ductwork. Unlike a window unit, a ductless system is a permanent fixture and not subject to gaps, drafts, and security issues. This type of system also uses much less energy than a window unit. Ductless systems are ideal for older homes that lack a duct infrastructure as well as new additions that aren't tied into an existing duct system.
2. Easy to install. Unlike traditional cooling systems or duct systems, a ductless air cooling system is easy to install. In most cases, the technician can have it up and running in less than a day.
3. Energy saving. Ducts can cause you to lose around 25 percent of your conditioned air. By eliminating those energy-zapping ducts, you get more conditioned air in your living spaces and therefore use less energy to achieve the same level of comfort.
4. Combines heating and cooling. Ductless cooling system, also called mini-split system, can also produce heated air, thus saving you from adding an additional furnace or baseboard heating system for your older home or new addition.
5. Tax advantages. Since ductless systems are energy-efficient, many states and municipalities offer tax credits to homeowners who include this type of system.
6. Individual controls. Having several ductless units in different rooms is ideal for a family that can't seem to agree on a single thermostat setting. Since each unit has its own thermostat, the person who is always cold can be comfortable in one room while the person who is always hot can be just as comfortable in an adjacent room.
While a ductless air cooling system is not necessarily the right choice for every homeowner, this type of system is a good alternative to expensive and inefficient duct work. In addition, this type of system is compact, quiet, energy-efficient, and can even offer you a tax savings, depending on where you live.
For more information on ductless air conditioning, contact a local company like Extreme Climates.